Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Last Samurai

"Japan was made by a handful of brave men. Warriors, willing to give their lives for what seems to have become a forgotten word: honor. "
So out of the blue, I decided to rewatch (The) Last Samurai today.
I have to admit, it is one of my favourite movies of all time. It has everything a good movie should; romance, comedy, meaningful quotes, beautiful scenery, action...
I would proudly say that I cried watching this movie, always at the last part, when Katsumoto dies. This scene is somewhat symbolic, since it displays the end of the samurai era.
It actually made me wonder, whether having samurais in Japan is a bad thing or a good thing. Sure, some samurais were bad. Some samurais were corrupted...And they stuck to traditional customs and ways, but...as displayed in the movie, they kept Japan innocent, and 'honorable'.
The bravery those warriors had, is unmatchable. Defend your father and comrades while they escape...
Charging against machine guns....
I really have to hand it to those guys...They are just...*sigh. Braver than anyone.
Anyway, I just thought that it was a very good stress reliver movie to watch, but now it's making me think...A LOT
This movie definitely should be a movie to study in schools...

No comments:

Post a Comment